the work of Thanksgiving

I love this photo of my grandmother, for it is how I remember her most.  Seems like when I am in the kitchen on Thanksgiving Day, I often think of the women who have gone before me: particularly my mother, and this, my paternal grandmother. I always try to do so much ahead of time, but by the end of the day, it's just plain exhausting. Then I say, "Was it worth it all?"  Funny, I never heard either of them ask that, nor did I ever think they were particularly tired at the end of the day. They probably kept those thoughts to themselves. I figure in this picture my grandmother is not too much older than I am now, they just looked like old ladies a lot earlier in life back then (!!)

I do remember hers and my mom's perfectly gorgeous and delicious Thanksgiving dinners. I hope my kids will have some similar memories too. We did have a good day yesterday, and Spouse said how wonderful it all was for all of us. A new family member, under 6 months, just added to the flavors of the day!

Note: I love this photo because I can remember all the details of my grandmother's kitchen and if I enlarge this I see many familiar things.  Most of my memories of grandmother were of her in this kitchen. While this is a happy photo to me, if you look into her eyes you see sadness. My mother tells me that she had just gotten the news from the doctor (who made a house call) that grandfather was not doing well and probably would not live much longer.  We carry some of the innocent moments of childhood into our adult lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

at the snack bar

seeing double